What is Telework?
Telework is defined as working from another location other than the office and using a computer, telephone, the internet, and other communication technology to perform professional duties.
Those who engage in telework are referred to as teleworkers.
What is telework in the digital age?
Digital transformation has enabled individuals and organizations to be able to connect remotely and perform their jobs from almost any location.
Technology is being leveraged to accommodate working from home in a variety of ways:
- Digital platforms to communicate and collaborate virtually
- Employee training software to onboard employees to new technology or maintain ongoing employee development.
- Digital Adoption Platforms (DAPs) – Digital adoption platforms are designed to facilitate seamless software learning by simplifying the user experience and ensuring proficiency on any software platform, app or website. This is especially beneficial for teleworkers as DAP allows individuals to learn at their own speed and independently, without the need for on-site help from colleagues.
- Data and analytics introduced to business functions to gain better insight into employee usage and productivity
- Cloud software for remote access to business applications
What are the benefits of telework?
There are several advantages to telework for both employees and the organizations that employ them.
For employees, telework has been shown to increase productivity and employee engagement. Teleworkers save money by not having to pay on-site work expenses and travel. Employees who work from home report less stress and a better work-life balance.
Organizations’ costs and overhead are reduced since employees working from home don’t require office space or transportation reimbursements. Companies that employ teleworkers are more agile and resilient when a crisis strikes and work needs to be performed from home.
Teleworkers who are reportedly happier and engaged improve employee performance, thus creating stronger and healthier organizations.
- If you’re a manager looking for ways to successfully manage your remote team while you all WFH, you can learn the 3 top tips for remote management.
- To learn more about how a workforce can be engaged and aligned no matter where they are, check out how digital adoption fuels productivity.
- Curious how different companies and different organizational departments are rising to the Coronavirus challenge? Learn how telecommuting is the new normal and how to maintain business continuity.
- Find out how HR departments hire, train and onboard in a time when everyone is working from home.
- WalkMe for Desktop applications allows businesses to modernize legacy, on-prem platforms with minimal effort, all while creating a simplified employee experience.