What Is User Experience and Why Does It Matter?
User experience refers to the experience that a user has when interacting with a brand, product, or service.
User experience design, also called UX design, is an important component of any product or service, digital or otherwise.
Though some conflate the design of user experience and the user interface, the two are distinct.
The user interface of a product focuses exclusively on the look and feel of a product, app, or service.
A user’s experience extends beyond the interface.
It is impacted by, among other things, the:
- Usability of a product or service
- User interface of a website or app
- Customer service and customer care
- Branding, graphic design, and customer-facing marketing assets
- Quality, relevance, and usefulness of a product or service
User experience is important for businesses to grasp, because it impacts the relationships a business has with its customers.
Ultimately, the experience defines:
- How users perceive a brand and a product
- How satisfied they are
- Their loyalty
- How long they stay with a company
- How much they spend
In recent years, organizations have begun to understand how important the experience is. Today, user experience has become a central focus in the design of many modern products and services.
Because today’s economy is user-driven, the user experience plays a pivotal role in the success or failure of a product.