What is remote work?
Remote work is when an employee works outside of the physical office utilizing technology to communicate and execute tasks for their employer.
Those who engage in remote work can be referred to as remote workers.
What are the advantages of remote work?
Remote work has become increasingly popular and there are many benefits for remote workers.
Many employees prefer remote work because it affords them a more flexible work schedule.
They can save money on commuting and on-site work expenditures.
Remote workers have shown high levels of employee engagement and increased productivity.
What are the cons of remote work?
Remote workers have fewer social interactions with colleagues which can lead to weaker relationships and a breakdown in communication.
When working from home, remote workers can become distracted by home-life, making it more difficult to concentrate.
A lack of differentiation between work-time and home-time can lead to a skewed work-life balance if not managed properly.
Since employees are not physically in the office, managers need to communicate regularly with remote workers and have clear indicators of employee performance and productivity.
Leveraging technology to perform remote work:
As companies are expanding their global operations and undergoing digital transformations, remote work is becoming increasingly common.
Technology is the bridge to connect a remote workforce and can be leveraged to improve overall business operations, here is how:
- Providing the right hardware and software for employees to best perform their job
- Continuous employee learning and development opportunities
- Digital adoption solutions to provide instruction and ensure software adoption
- If you’re a manager looking for ways to successfully manage your remote team while you all WFH, you can learn the 3 top tips for remote management.
- To learn more about how a workforce can be engaged and aligned no matter where they are, check out how digital adoption fuels productivity.
- Find out how HR departments hire, train and onboard in a time when everyone is working from home.
- WalkMe for Desktop applications allows businesses to modernize legacy, on-prem platforms with minimal effort, all while creating a simplified employee experience.