What is Telecommuting?
Telecommuting means working from home and communicating with the office by computer, telephone, the internet, and other communication technology.
Those who engage in telecommuting are referred to as telecommuters.
What is telecommuting in the digital age?
Digital transformation has enabled individuals and organizations to be able to connect remotely and perform their jobs from almost any location.
Technology is being leveraged to accommodate working from home in a variety of ways:
- Digital platforms to communicate and collaborate virtually
- Employee training software to onboard employees to new technology or maintain ongoing employee development
- Digital Adoption Platforms (DAPs) – Digital adoption platforms are designed to facilitate seamless software learning by simplifying the user experience and ensuring proficiency on any software platform, app or website. This is especially beneficial for telecommuters as DAP allows individuals to learn at their own speed and independently, without the need for on-site help from colleagues.
- Data and analytics introduced to business functions to gain better insight into employee usage and productivity
- Cloud software for remote access to business applications
What are the benefits of telecommuting?
There are several advantages to telecommuting for both employees and the organizations that employ them.
For employees, telecommuting has been shown to increase productivity and employee engagement. Telecommuters save money by not having to pay on-site work expenses and travel. Employees who work from home report less stress and a better work-life balance.
Organizations’ costs and overhead are reduced since employees working from home don’t require office space or transportation reimbursements. Companies that employ telecommuters are more agile and resilient when a crisis strikes and work needs to be performed from home.
Telecommuters who are reportedly happier and engaged improve employee performance, thus creating stronger and healthier organizations.
- How Telecommuting Can Save Your Team: 3 Top Tips to Manage Any Team Remotely
- How Digital Adoption Will Fuel Telecommuting